Volume 16, Number 2 (8 2003)                   jdm 2003, 16(2): 79-83 | Back to browse issues page


XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Koiahi-e-Kazerani J, Ghalyani Isfahani P, Varshosaz J. A case report on a systemic toxicity following ingestion of 20% chlorhexidine gluconate solution. jdm. 2003; 16 (2) :79-83
URL: http://jdm.tums.ac.ir/article-1-422-en.html

Abstract:   (4275 Views)
Chlorhexidine is bonded well to the oral mucosa and dental pellicle and is poorly absorbed from the astrointestinal tract, but in high concentration it is absorbed enough to produce liver necrosis. In this case a dentistry student accidentally ingested a shot of 20% chlorhexidine gluconate solution. Treatments included washing the oral cavity with lots of tooth paste, drinking of 5% alginate syrup and ingestion of 5g small pieces of cork .The following adverse effects were experienced: headache, giddiness, mild mist, euphoria, stomachache, diarrhea and complete loss of taste sensation for 8h, which recurred gradually during the last 48 hours. According to the poor absorption, low toxicity and low concentration of conventional mouthwashes, systemic toxicity following drinking of some shots of this solution is rare. Ultimately if may cause gastritis. Other treatments which are helpful in the same cases are: drinking of hard water, kaolin and tragacant syrup, bicarbonates such as baking soda, carbonates such as beverage , citrates such as lemon-juice and chlorides such as brine and so on.
Full-Text [PDF 367 kb]   (772 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: general
Published: 2013/09/17

Add your comments about this article : Your username or email:
Write the security code in the box

© 2017 All Rights Reserved | Journal of Dental Medicine

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb